Tuesday, June 22, 2021

NEW RELEASE: THE OLD IN THE NEW BY MICHAEL J. VLACH

I am excited to announce the release of my new book, The Old in the New: Understanding How the New Testament Authors Quoted the Old Testament. The book is published by Kress Biblical Resources with an imprint from The Master’s Seminary. I have been working on this book since 2011. It was formed through years of teaching a Th.M. seminar at The Master’s Seminary called, “New Testament Use of the Old Testament.”

Trying to understand NT quotations of the OT is a huge topic for any one person but I have tried my best to address most NT uses of the OT in this book. This includes the “harder” cases like Matthew 2:15’s use of Hosea 11:1, and Paul’s use of “seed” in Galatians 3:16. In his endorsement of this book, Walter Kaiser states, “He [Vlach] has also taken up a wide sample of most, if not all, of the passages usually raised on this subject and has given a reasonable solution in Scripture text after Scripture text—in a succinct, but credible manner. I cannot endorse Vlach’s work too highly, for I found that he had hit the nail on the head in case after case.” 

I also address the various ways the NT authors quoted and used the OT. In addition, I also evaluate the seven different approaches to this topic. And I lay out the perspective that I think is accurate.

This topic is very complex but it is understandable. In the end I argue that the NT authors quoted and used the OT in an overwhelmingly contextual way. The quotations of the OT are consistent with the inspired authorial intents of the OT authors. To grasp this, one must know when the NT authors are quoting the OT concerning meaning, and when they are quoting the OT concerning significance or implication.

This book also takes a minority view that the NT authors were not reinterpreting, transforming, or transcending the meaning of the OT. I hold that there is great continuity (not discontinuity) between the message and storyline of the OT and that found in the NT. To understand how the NT authors quote the OT, one must also understand the concepts of (1) Messianic hope; (2) corporate representation; and (3) divinely intended correspondences.

No one person can fully master the topic of NT use of the OT before Jesus comes again, but I hope this book makes a helpful contribution. This book can be read straight through or as a reference for when one encounters a particular use of the OT in the NT.

For more information and how to purchase this book, click here

18 comments:

  1. Dr. Vlach, do you look in your book at the Apostolic use of readings from the LXX vs. readings from the Hebrew text?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book's not about that topic but I do discuss it in the acts 15 use of amos 9 chapter.

      Delete
  2. Praise the Lord! Thank you, Dr. Vlach, for your contribution on this subject. I have been looking forward to this since Adv. Herm in Spring, 2019--can't wait to get a copy! Any way I could get a signed copy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be glad to Matt. But I'm now out of California so it might be hard.

      Delete
  3. That's ok. I'm not in CA anymore either. The good news is I'm only 9 hours drive from where you are now (that's better than 3 days if you were still in CA). So if you have any speaking engagements remotely close to OH, I might be able to attend. I just received my copy of your new book from Amazon today--gonna dig into it pronto. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading your books on dispensationalism and premillennialism, I knew I needed to read this book as well. How the NT interprets the OT seems to be a core determinant of many theological positions.

    One of my friends has asked me to go through a bible study methods book with him to show him how to study the Bible. Is there a hermeneutics textbook you recommend that holds to the single meaning/multiple implications view?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you familiar with Abner Chou's book? The Hermeneutics of the Biblical Writers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only heard of it through the references in your books. I've just ordered it. I'll check it out.

      I was blessed to hear Abner Chou's sermon on "gathering together in one place" in person last year when I was in California for a wedding. I loved his sermon, I'm sure I'll love his book. Thank you for the suggestion.

      Delete
  6. Dear Dr. Vlach, I purchased as gifts He Will Reign Forever for two of my pastors and The Old in the New for the lead pastor of my church. However, I can't help but think also about the average guy. I wanted to suggest that perhaps from these two works and others of yours, you could perhaps develop booklets 50 to 75 pages long which could easily be given to the average lay person to help them understand the basics of these important topics. For example, there is a B.B. Warfield 66-page booklet on the inspiration of Scripture from Ichthus Publications that covers the basics of Warfield's work in this area. I had something like that in mind for your works. I leave it with you to consider. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My booklet on Premillennialism is short. So too is my booklet on Dispensationalism.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for these two suggestions. I will look into them. I did pick up Forsaking Israel also as a gift for my lead pastor after seeing your recommendation of it and will also pick up Abner Chou's book on biblical hermeneutics, also as a result of your recommendation. Thanks again.

      Delete
  7. Hello Dr Vlach, my name is Pedro, I'm Brazilian and I'm in theology seminary, I read your books in ebook version and I really enjoyed it, I would love to read your new book but I don't have the money to buy it, you could contact me ?

    my email : pedro37eze@gmail.com

    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dr Vlach, any plans for your book to come out in Logos?

    Maranatha!
    Don Johnson
    Jer 33.3

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Dr Vlach, my name is Paulo, and I want so much read your's books, but some they not are translated to portuguese, and with the dollar so expensive (I'm Brazilian), and the amazon value not help me, you could contact me, to could buy the books direct with you or something like this?

    Thanks for your ministry, God bless you!

    My email: victorouza@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete